Miracles and Scabies

Sziasztooook,

So this week took a drastic turn toward the end when Fisher elder and I went to the doctor (again) to check up on this curious rash on my arm that turned out to be none other than Rasputin himself... in the form of a colony of scabies, which makes this the transfer of health problems (including bleeding intestines, ingrown toenail surgery, and my new friends the scabies).  Turns out the sisters got it from me too, and that left 2/3rds of our district in quarantine from Saturday afternoon to Tuesday morning.  I now understand how Fisher elder felt when he had to stay home while I was recuperating earlier in the transfer.  We were instructed to get this strange milky medicine that we rubbed all over twice, and which stung like nothing else! Needless to say, I have no doubt that Scabie are dead.  Staying inside is the WORST, especially when you don't feel sick.  We were both getting a little stir crazy, but we did a lot of reading from the scriptures in Hungarian, some Area Book calls, and then called the sisters who were quarantined in the downtown Pest to bond over the boredom of the indoors.

Last PDay we went to the Terror House in Pest, which was a very somber, slightly disturbing museum that detailed the story of the building in which the museum was housed, which was used as both the Hungarian Nazi Party's headquarters and the communist party's headquarters.  It had housed many political prisoners over the course of its official use.  Later that day, we did find two great new investigators: Péter and Zsolt.  They are roommates, and both in their mid 30s.  They told us that they had been looking for a congregation to attend, and we had a wonderful Restoration lesson with them on Tuesday, after our PDay had ended.  We scheduled to go back on Friday evening, and in doing so we had just caught them coming home from a beer festival... dohh!  Péter kind of passed out on the bed, but Zsolt was sober and recited a detailed account of what he had already read out of the Book of Mormon until 1 Nephi 7!  Then he accepted a baptismal date for september 7, and he will prepare to become clean from tobacco and alcohol.  I'm really excited to start working with them, they both have a lot of potential and are ready to start turning their lives around.

On wednesday, we went on splits with the other elders and Elder Norris and I lived up old times (he was my 2nd companion in Nyíregyháza) and used a ferry to cross a little outcropping of the Danube (pictured below). We tracted a ton in the intense heat.  This week it was getting into the 100's F!  Weekly planning in our apartment was a literal sweat session, just a constant flow.  Sleeping was also quite the adventure; I love waking up around 2 in the morning and feeing my bed soaked from my sweat.  The other elders and us got permission to excersise together in the mornings, since they dont live too far away! We go to a soccer park in between our apartments and play for about 25 minutes in order to hone our skills (?) #ICANTDOTHISSOCCERTHING. Usually I think we end up waking up a few people in their own large apartment buildings because I always end up screaming when the ball is stolen from me and that usually happens every 30 seconds. Saturday morning we got the call from Sister Szabadkai telling us that we were to remain in quarentine for the rest of the day, Sunday, and until tomorrow morning (though we can email).  The scabies are all dead, but they just want to be sure.  We set a goal with the sisters to read the entire book of mormon by the end of quarentine, but after Fisher elder and I had read for 2 and a half hours and we were only on 1 Nephi 9, we kind of gave up.. But it was a really good 2 and a half hours!  A huge storm rolled in on Sundaynight, and it reminded me of those good ole St. Louis storms that I miss so much.  Being on the 8th floor, we have a pretty good view of our area of the city, and we got some great pictures which are below.

I love you all, and keep studying the scriptures and coming closer and closer to Christ!  He is the way to happiness in this life, that I know with a surety. I also have to give a slightly late HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my wonderful mother.  I would NOT be who I am today without her wonderful example and perpetual kindness.  She loves God and loves her family, and I have come closer to God because of her.  She taught me how to study the scriptures, how to pray, how to be kind to others, how to play the piano, how to read, how to be slightly strange at times, how to be loyal to those I love. She is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and I wouldn't trade her for anyone. BOLDOG SZÜLETÉS NAPOT, ANYUKÁM!

Sok szeretettel,
Adam


Terrorház


Nazis and then Soviets - a glimpse of Hungary's oppressed history


elder fisher looks a little too relaxed.. lol.  in his defense It was really hot


elder Norris and I on ferry


The Little Danube. Reminds me of Missouri!


Norris elder about to eat the Chuck Norris burger at Hambi City (a wonderfully medeocore establishment with larger than life serving sizes)


Norris elder's mom wanted him to take one of those artsy missionary pictures with his name tag.  Presenting the Chuck Norris Burger



Zivatar!

Comments

Popular Posts