Church

Szervusztok! (I think this might be a slightly communist greeting)

Time is really flying. I have already been in country for the same amount of time that I was in the MTC, but in reality it feels like a quarter of that time. I'm almost a fifth through my mission; next week are transfer calls and I could potentially be assigned to my second area in Hungary (though I really, really hope I get to stay in Nyíregyháza). 

The week started off with a district bonfire in a very cold, wet, dark Hungarian forest (we brought along some of the masks that Hoffmann Margit gave us - pictures below). Recently, we have been making a lot of progress with the people that we're teaching. One of them is Ilona, a 70 year old woman we found through tracting. We met with her on Friday to she how her Book of Mormon listening is going. She has a difficult time reading these days because she is currently without glasses, but fortunately we were able to download the Hungarian audio Book of Mormon onto her computer. She listens every day! She told us that while she was listening, she saw her room fill with a light and heard what sounded to her like angelic choirs and bells. 

The next day we were able to give her a tour of the branch house; the Spirit was so strong. She's experiencing a lot a pain right now and unfortunately wasn't able to make it to church the next day. However, at church, we did see two other people whom we are teaching: Judy and Lotti. We found out at our last teaching with them that Judy is actually Lotti's grandmother. They're really good friends though, and whenever we stop by Judy's, Lotti is always there. Judy is especially energetic and happy, always! Especially when I teach, she has a hard time not laughing because I make mistakes all over the place (like saying "My companion is a really good bathhouse!" instead of "My companion is a really good cook"). During the teaching a few days following an especially laughter filled lesson, she was apologizing a lot for "lol"-ing the whole time. She said, "I am... so... sorry. Last time... to much... lol." Also apparently she friended all my "parents, friends, siblings, teachers, classmates, collegues" on facebook so vigyázz (watch out). Anyway, they both came to church and stayed for the first two hours. Judy was killing it in Sunday School! She was full-on participating and even answered some of my questions. I sat next to Lotti and she mainly translated for me what was going on (though she doesn't speak a ton of English, so rather she was simplifying in Hungarian). Also Héri Laci, the man who we're planning on baptizing on March 18, showed up for Sacrament Meeting with his girlfriend! who he is supposed to propose to tomorrow on Valentine's Day. It was a wonderful Sunday; the Lord was making up for the difference everywhere.

I was reading in James yesterday. First of all, James is on fire. Every single verse is a goldmine. I especially liked verses 8 and 12.

8: A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. I did/am doing a lot of research on what it means to me double minded. It reminds me of the second of the ten commandments, "thou shalt have no other Gods before me." Whenever I put something in my life before God (or just whatever I'm trying to focus on at any given moment), everything crumbles down around me.

12: Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. Wow, is so true. I know that the crown of life refers to exaltation/living with God in the life to come, but I also think that it can apply to our situation here on the earth. I'm still trying to figure out what the "crown of life" means while we're still experiencing mortality. To me, at least part of it means walking with confidence before the Lord.
I'll leave you with a few more verses from the first chapter to munch on. 2-4: My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
Sok szeretettel,

Martin Elder






Pleasant train ride to Miskolc for interviews.





Comments

Popular Posts